Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Lunchity time

Thanks for all the great comments :) I'm still going to have stress...it's a PhD so I can't expect not to, but hopefully the encompasing, losing sleep, anxiety will be out the window.

I was hoping that you lovely folks could help me out. I'm having issues with eating healthier and working at a university where there are so many bad (yet yummy) food choices to be made. We have a pizza stand (where it's really good), chic-fil-a (yummy waffle fries), oriental and a hot sub place with the best fries imagineable (see my french fry problem?). We have healthier choices too, but they're not as good and let's face it, they don't pay grad students the millions we deserve :) I've been eating frozen meals and soup, which I know are not all that great for you (sodium, preservatives, etc.). What do you do (if you go to work and pack a lunch) or what good ideas could you suggest? I still want to do lower carb, but it's more trying to get rid of bad carbs. So, I'll have enriched bread, no sugar added peaches (or apple sauce), etc.

Thanks!

5 comments:

Dr. Wifey said...

i have been doing the South Beach diet going on 2 weeks now. i have found some great recipes at Kalyn's Kitchen (http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/), which i cook in the evenings, then take leftovers for lunch the next day

Diana Swallow said...

I like wraps for lunch or sandwiches. I just pack the bread, meat and veggies in separate bags/containers and assemble when I'm ready to eat. You don't want to get rid of the carbs, just the unhealthy carbs. Sounds like you're on the right track.

Diana said...

Thanks for the tips! I'll definately check out Kalyn's kitechen. The only thing I worry about now with the wraps or sandwiches is using too many baggies or containers. But, I think fatbridesmade found some really cool bento containers I'll order. That may be an idea. Hmmm. Thanks SJ!

(if anyone else has more...keep them coming :)

Irish Mom said...

I do the lean cuisine, but I have access to a freezer and microwave at work. For snacks: apples, bananas, high fiber cereal, almonds. Thats all I can think of for now. I think I need to make a list and put it on my fridge so I am never at a loss for healthy snacks to bring to work.

Anonymous said...

GREAT TIPS

let me know if you want more/would want me to use this as a VIEWER MAIL question!!

Miz.