Friday, February 13, 2009

Re-explainings from yesterdays post

I know - I'm continuing the last post. Updating again. But, it was something I didn't explain well and think I need to try again!

I understand that there are varying degrees of physical attractiveness (in a conventional, blind rating sort of way). However, I do believe that people are beautiful in unique ways, and that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Here's where I think the author of the piece had a point. There are people that hide behind food and their weight instead of facing their real issues. And, there are people that have lost the weight they wanted to and realized that all their issues are still there - they're just a smaller size while dealing with the issues (hence one reason why surgery is not a quick fix! Well, and the other issues that come with surgery...but that's not the point!). It can be heartbreaking to realize that losing weight isn't a cure all for all the problems.

I think the author was trying to get people to realize that fact...that we will still need to deal with all the issues underlying why we (us that have issues) were over eating in the first place. After all, their audience is primarly made up of people that have deeper issues than I like french fries. They are people who want help with deeper issues.

In all fairness, there was a line in there that said it was sad that people strive for physical perfection and are let down when losing weight doens't result in the perfection because there is more to attractiveness than that (i.e., inner beauty). Keep in mind that it was paraphrased.
I just wish it had come before the shock factor.

5 comments:

Crabby McSlacker said...

Interesting.

I think these sort of psychological generalizations will often ring true for some people, and be totally off base for others! People are so unique. So I too tend to get a bit irritated by any sweeping statement of why people do things--because it's rarely true for everyone.

Tom Rooney said...

Diana,
I think if you view the excess weight as a health issue instead of vanity it makes a lot more sense to drop the pounds. Now as for the weight loss and hiding behind food, this may just be like an addiction rather than just procrastination.

Diana said...

Oh, I absolutely agree with the both of you. I think the majority of the audience (including myself) are food adicts and compulsive eaters. They're trying to get people out of it and to eat like the average joe. The way it was brought accross was just shocking to me.

Natalia said...

Hey Diana! I hear you. I think that person was trying to move us past vanity and trying to get us to see the big picture. :) Just like you said!

Dr. Wifey said...

i too believe that obesity is a result of addiction and not vanity