Thursday, June 26, 2008

End of hiatus

I've taken a bit of a hiatus while sick ,but I think I'm starting to feel good enough to get back on track. I'm at least going to start the food journal again. My weight has been all over the place this week. I know exercise affects that (non existant since I had a sinus infection and bronchitis going on), but my food has been all over the charts too. Somedays not enough calories, some days way to many. If I can't exercise properly (I'm guessing coughing and hacking is not productive when trying to do aerobics? Just a guess)....then I can at least be watchful of calories. Not that it's been bad, it's just not been watched properly.

This has nothing to do with dieting, but something that has been on my mind lately. Did I tell you that my hubby goes to school? Since he's medically retired from the military (just under a year now), he gets his school 100% paid for and gets a retirement check. It'd be silly not to go (says the PhD student who's in debt).

He's still having a hard time with several things. One big thing is finding a job/career/major that's intersting. Now, you can ask what he's good at or what he likes. I've done that too. The problem is that in his prior job he had a ton of friends he could litterally trust his life with (and did), and he had one of the most exciting (yet dangerous...hence the retired) jobs out there. Nothing in the civilian world seems to compare. It's been difficult for him to try to find things that keep his interst.

I asked my older family vets what they did, and it was manual labor (to keep the bills paid) and lots of drinking and/or drug use. That's so not the answer I was looking for. He can't become a police officer or anything like that (adrenaline junkies seem to go for these things), so that's out of the question too. I swear, I wish there was more that they could do for the soldiers to transition, but I guess there's not much that can be done. How do you find anything exciting when you've been blown up and shot at? How can anything compare?

Do any of you have experience with this? What do people do? Just plug along until life feels right again? I do think he's geting better. It's been a year after all. And, I trust that he'll find his way eventually. Things are getting set into motion that seem to be helping with that. For instance, he just got a job as an electrition apprentice. Not making much, but at least it's a start. He's not sure if this is the job for him, but at least it'll give him enough experience to see if it's something he wants to do. And, let us get ahead a little money wise. And, allow him to meet people (hopefully more like him than the 18 year olds he goes to school with) that he can get along with and hang out with.

My issue is that I love him...and seeing him struggle makes my heart hurt. I want to fix it. I want the impossible...to take his frustration and sadness away. So, if you have ideas or suggestions I'd love to hear them.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

sorry, no suggestions. just wanted to tell you that i am trying to think of some. :)