Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The ring

I don't know that I've talking about it before, but my mom passed away last year from her battle with ovarian cancer. I was really close to her...and miss her dearly. The day of the funeral, my dad suprised me by asking if I'd like to have her wedding ring. He gave me her other jewels, but this one meant so much more. I have a bio father, but this ring was with her and the man that deserves the title Dad. I haven't been able to put it on though since I've gotten it...and it's the one piece of jewelry I really wanted to wear. And, I wouldn't/coudln't alter it. It's like a piece of her. Well, today I was able to wear it...even in the 104 degree temps! If nothing else...if I fail at the rest of the weight loss stuff and remain at this weight...I will still be so grateful for this.. More so than I can ever explain.

So, today was a day of celebrating...for getting a little piece of my best friend back.

9 comments:

Journo June aka MamaBear said...

Oh, that's precious and has me tearing up. Sending hugs and prayers your way.
Path to Health

MargieAnne said...

How wonderful. I bet you are dancing with joy.

Anonymous said...

How lovely to be able to wear your mother's ring!

My mother died 10 years ago and although we were not close (I admit in my own blog the whole family set up was rather dysfunctional) I was sad when she died.

Unfortunately my Dad decided that my Mum should be buried in everything she was wearing, including engagement and wedding rings.

I think he's the only person I've ever heard of doing that and I really don't know what benefit they will be to her six feet under .... except Dad's view was that she is "complete" that way.

So I never got to inherit any rings.

Diana said...

I'm so sorry goodbye to all fat. My friend had a bad relationship with her father when he passed away, and she said she felt bad because they'd never get the relationship she always wanted with him. She mourned that as much as I mourn the loss of our good relationship.
My mom had some stuff burried with her too that meant a lot to her...like we picked out some of her favorite froggies (she was into them), her "blankie (she never went anywhere without it), her clothes she wore on their first date, etc. That's why I was surprised when he offered it to me. I got other sentimental stuff, but this meant the most.

Felicia said...

That is simply wonderful. What an amazing little story to hold dear to you. It must have felt wonderful when you finally slipped it onto your finger. Congrats to you!

Have a wonderful day!
*huggles*
=0)

Anonymous said...

I can only imagine the joy you're feeling at being able to wear your mother's ring! It showing how far you've come in your journey! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

oh, congratulations! that has to be the best nsv i have ever heard!

Fairy Princess said...

That is so amazing! Congratulations on a fabulous NSV!

New2Raw said...

I am a new blogger!Congrats on the ring fitting.In my blog~last week I talked about my wedding ring having to get cut of cause Ilost a diamond & I gained so much I had to have it cut off(embarasing).NOW,on my right hand is a heart ring hubby bought years ago & its loose to were it turns itself around since I lost weight ,so I can relate in a different way! :-)